Freedom from Torture gives the perfect response to the Home Office’s request to remove its video of Suella Braverman
Freedom from Torture said it was asked by the Interior Ministry to remove the video.
Freedom from Torture gave a perfect response to the Interior Department after repeatedly asking the charity to remove a video it uploaded of Suella Braverman confronting a Holocaust survivor.
Video footage, shared by the charity, emerged over the weekend of Suella Braverman being questioned by Joan Salter, 83, at a constituency meeting in Fareham on Friday.
Salter, who was named an MBE for her work on Holocaust education, compared Braverman’s language about migrants trying to cross the English Channel to that used by the Nazis.
Salter said, “I am a child survivor of the Holocaust.
“In 1943, I was forced to flee my hometown in Belgium and travelled through war-torn Europe and dangerous seas until I was finally able to come to the UK in 1947.
“When I hear you use words against refugees like “swarms” and “invasion” it reminds me of the language used to dehumanize and justify the murder of my family and millions of others.
“Why do you find the need to use this kind of language? ”
In the video, Braverman refuses to apologize for the language she used, for which she has been widely condemned.
Since then, Freedom from Torture has said that the Home Office has asked the charity to remove the video.
Earlier this afternoon, the charity shared a link to an Evening Standard story with the words, “Still not deleting it”.
Social media users praised the charity for its provocative stance, with one commenting, “Please don’t do it, everyone should see it”.
Basit Mahmood is editor-in-chief of Left Foot Forward